October 7, 2006

Not the usual hobby


Today is saturday, and I had no "agrégation" class planned, so I should have been doing homework all day, or at the very least, rested at home. Instead I spent it on campus in a seminar for Master students - not the usual hobby, mind you. I know I should postpone anything related to research for when I am a teacher in a year or so, but I can't help myself. A six-hour-long seminar on orientalism and postcolonialism called Tropes and territories, supervised by my "coach-teacher" Mrs Claire Omhovère, is simply not something I can ignore.
So I went, and it was... entrancing. Well, very challenging and very entrancing. And I realized that research is quite like mountain hiking: it's long, arduous, sometimes nearly unbearable and you wonder if you are ever going to make it to the top, but you invariably have the unbounded satisfaction to know that no one else could have done it for you.

Did I mention that I miss it very much?

No comments: